Sunday, November 21, 2010

This Weekend and what I learned...

Went to the Reel Rock Tour on Friday, hosted by Trinity, thanks so much to Katie who did a great job of introducing the show and keeping it going after the 'interval' that no one wanted!!!

Have to say that I was looking forward to the bouldering film and it didn't disappoint! The two guys, Paul Robinson and Daniel Woods are just awesome boulderers. The short film (The Hardest Moves) followed their efforts on their respective V16 projects!!

Amazing dedication and determination to unlock seemingly impossible moves on the craziest problems.

Nice to see how the two of them recreated their outdoor problems on the indoor wall...

I laughed at the time, during the video it was said that the both of them had to distill their lives down to one move in order to complete their projects, but I suppose if you wanna be the best boulderer in the world, that's what it takes...

So after that we all went out and had a few drinks in town, great night, and really cool to see what must have been about 150 - 200 people show up to the Reel Rock Tour.

The IBL the next day suffered in it's entirety for me... I enjoyed myself a little too much the night before and had great difficulty being motivated to even get started... didn't sleep right, didn't eat, don't remember a large portion of the climbing I did on the day...

It ended badly too, cause the last thing I did was pull some serious stuff in my wrist and have taped down my ring and little fingers against the palm of my hand in an effort not to move them...

So it's a physio appointment tomorrow and icing session after icing session for my wrist... gotta love Tesco frozen corn!! Makes a great ice pack :)

So what did I learn... don't go out and drink the night before you've to onsight 18 boulder problems... it won't end well!!

Joking aside though, it is a lot of pressure to put on fingers and the body in general - So unless you're well fed and well hydrated, it won't go well. Not just on the day, but the day before too. Preparation is key if you want to do well, and for me, it all went down the drain on the day...

Having said that though, I had a great night on Friday and wouldn't change that!!

On the day I have to say I was hugely impressed by both Hannah Fogg, who dispite a dodgy knee, still looked unbelievably strong, and Joan Molloy who, I don't think put a foot (or a hand for that matter) wrong all day!

Really good demonstration of control and just a sureness of how to move through problems first time.

Brilliant to watch the two of them climbing!

So all in all, despite what might turn out to be a pretty bad wrist injury, the weekend was great fun and it was cool, as always to see everyone. It will be interesting to see what the physio says tomorrow about how much time off I've to take...

hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment